Friday, September 5, 2008

I Do Not Follow - September 5, 2008

New York is a special place. Not just because of the splendid generosity of its citizens, but because of the circumstances in which I am regularly placed that cannot stop me from asking "Why?"

After running what was supposed to be a simple errand (which turned out to be a 4.5 hour quest) for one of my friends, I was placed in a humorous situation. It was one of the times where I cannot help but call my father. Let's face it: if we aren't laughing at life, life is laughing at us instead.

I was driving down a two-lane highway. It was just me and a few hundred of my favorite New Yorkers, lined up for "who knows" how far. We - meaning the "great" citizens of Long Island - were puttering along the highway. Of course, I started getting bored at the stop-and-go traffic (I blame the stop lights for the stopping and then going that we were experiencing--duh). When I get bored, I start noticing nuances around me that normally pass by without any thought. One of these nuances was an enormous construction vehicle. To any other person, it would have been a plain-old, run-of-the-mill truck, except I noticed that it had a bright orange sign tacked to the back of it that said "Construction Vehicle".

It was a good thing I knew that it was a construction vehicle, because I would have just thought it a regular truck. Lame. I know.

Anyhow, the greater amusement came when I read the next three words on the sign that was tacked to Captain Obvious' "Construction Vehicle": "Do Not Follow."

The hamsters started running the wheels in my head.

"Do not follow," I thought to myself. "Do not follow? I am on a two lane highway, what the heck else am I supposed to do?"

"Uh, I swear! I am not following you; I just happen to be going the same way!"

What brilliant person decided that the "Construction Vehicle" would need a sign announcing - nay, warning people - not to follow it. Now, I could understand were the sign worded "Super Secret, Awesome, Only-People-Who-Follow-This-Vehicle-Can-Live-Forever Vehicle: Do Not Follow". But this one made no sense.

That's why I called my Father immediately. He had to know the brilliance I had witnessed.

And, no: I was not following it. We were just going the same way.

--

Today was interesting. But, more on that tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wait, you mean today you were either in a situation or saw something that was more interesting than your "construction vehicle?" What was it; a "Wide Load" or a "Landscaping Ahead" sign? I must know and know it NOW!