Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Summer Clerkship Journal Entry

Working at the Public Defender has definitely been a great eye-opener for me. Having clerked for a District Attorney previously, I thought I knew what to expect this summer, but I was very wrong.

My Supervisor has been quick to assign me very hands-on and practical work, in every sense of the word. She has told me that her goal is to have me understand exactly what it is like to be a Public Defender. As a result, I have authored and had submitted to the court multiple motions, done extensive witness and client interviews, interacted with several judges and done some investigative work. I have also become the point-person for false confessions and LAPD interrogation procedures because of my work.

I have really begun to like the atmosphere, even though the Public Defenders are packed two-to-a-room (while DA’s enjoy their own office), because everybody in the office loves what they do. As a result, the environment is welcoming and the work is more interesting. Even the clerks are loving every minute of the day.

My Work So Far, In A Nutshell:

- Two Pitchess (prior police conduct discovery) Motions Authored and Submitted to the Court

- Research and Growing Knowledge of Police (LAPD specifically) Interview Tactics and Techniques

- Increasing Familiarity with False Confessions (and interaction with Expert Witnesses)

- Client Counseling and Interviewing

- Witness Interviewing

- Increasing Familiarity with Preliminary Criminal Hearings and Outcomes (Specifically: Deferred Entries of Judgment and Prop 36)

- Becoming Familiar with the Outlay and Content of Police Reports and Evidence

No comments: